Wednesday 28 February 2024

In the beginning, there was a lump.

Disclosure:  I am not very proactive when it comes to health issues.  My parents both lived to the grand old age of 90  and generally, my family has good health.  As a 70-year-old woman, I had sporadic moments of proactiveness,  attending to smears and mammogram checks, but with the least bit of interest and consequence expected.  Mammograms revealed I had lumpy breasts (cysts) but further investigations revealed nothing untoward. 

In October, 2023, as I lay in bed at an awkward angle because sciatica was giving me pain down my leg and I was trying to relieve it, I absentmindedly stroked my right breast and found there a firm lump that seemed too big to be true.  I stood up and went to the bathroom and stroked downward on my right breast again.  Yes, there it was, especially if I lifted my arm above my head, a lump, which seemed to say to me that this might not be right.

There was no corresponding lump on my left breast, so I asked my husband to investigate as he is probably more familiar with the shape and size of my breasts than anyone and he agreed that it did not seem to be right.  So it was the time for action.

So the first step happened, as follows.  I used my health app to try to make an appointment with my doctor (whom I had never met before, as I kept good health) and as an appointment with her was only available in 4 weeks,  I messaged the medical centre.  I said that I had found a lump and would like an urgent appointment with my doctor. Several disjointed messages were interchanged through the app, as it is managed by the medical centre so you cannot respond to the person who sends you a message.

 Eventually, I was rung by a nurse or manager.  Their advice was that the earliest that any doctor in the practice could see me was in two weeks.  I then made that appointment but asked if I could be booked in for a mammogram, as well, so that the doctor would be able to make a diagnosis and plan of action supported by more concrete evidence.   

The medical centre person refused - "not part of their protocols" - I had to see the doctor first.  I said, you know the first thing the doctor is going to require is a mammogram so let's save time and get this booked in now.  She said that the doctor needed to make that decision after examining me, and again refused.  

I railed against this decision.  I am an intelligent woman, with two degrees and two post-graduate diplomas as well as common sense but I was restricted by protocols and a lack of consideration of the patient's knowledge of themselves and medical matters.  

The newest doctor with the least appointments could see me in two weeks.  He turned out to be a very competent young doctor, explaining the procedures that he would carry out and what could happen as a result of those procedures.  This was very reassuring and I agreed to his examination and next steps.  He ordered a mammogram (SURPRISE!!!!) and scan to be carried out.  However,  the earliest I could get in to have these done was 10 days, even when going private.  So a further wait loomed.

A 24-day wait is a long time when you know there is something not right.  Days ticked by very slowly but I finally attended the mammogram and scan appointments and from that point on, the medical system kicked into top gear.   

How many women get flicked off in this kind of situation?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

After the wait, the mammogram and scan day arrivied.

Twenty-four days after I first contacted my medical centre, I attended an appointment at our local imaging centre.  A mammogram was on the ...